Speech pathologists study, diagnose and treat communication disorders, including difficulties with speaking, listening, understanding language, reading, writing, social skills, stuttering and using voice.
Speech Pathologists must complete a 4 year degree in Speech Pathology at University.
Jackie Stening is an experienced speech pathologist with 25 years’ experience.
Jackie’s aim is to provide family centred, evidence based speech pathology services to local families. Therapy will target goals important to the client that help with communication in everyday life.
Jackie can provide assessment and therapy for children, teens and adults in the following areas:
• Speech (how speech is produced e.g. cat –> tat)
• Receptive Language (comprehension skills) (e.g. following instructions and understanding what words mean)
• Expressive language skills (e.g. formulating sentences, using grammar, expressive vocabulary)
• Social language difficulties (e.g. taking turns in conversation, sharing skills, using eye contact, staying on topic)
• Feeding difficulties (e.g. fussy eaters, difficulties swallowing, difficulties managing different food textures)
• Learning Difficulties including reading, writing and spelling
Jackie has experience and specialist skills in the following areas:
• Autism Spectrum Disorder
• Hanen Certified Speech Pathologist – Hanen programmes are designed to give parents the skills to help their child’s language in everyday environments. These programmes have a strong evidence base, and fit with my family centred approach to intervention. For more information on any of the programmes follow the links below.
1. It takes Two to Talk – For parents of children aged 5 and under with a language delay
2. More Than Words For parents of children with a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder aged 5 and under
3. Talkability For parents of verbal children ages 3-7 with social communication difficulties (with or without a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder http://www.hanen.org/Programs/For-Parents/TalkAbility.aspx
• Feeding difficulties (trained in Sequential Oral Sensory Approach to Feeding for Picky Eaters)
• Communication and Feeding delays associated with developmental delay and diagnosed disabilities such as Down Syndrome and Cerebral Palsy
• Working in early childhood settings such as Preschools, Long Daycare and family day Care
• Working in schools (currently working at Red Hill Public school)
• Working with aboriginal families and local aboriginal health services
Bachelor of Applied Science (Speech Pathology)
Membership: Certified Practising member of Speech Pathology Australia
Hanen Certified Speech Pathologist
Registered provider with the National Disability Insurance Scheme – registered for Therapeutic Supports (over 7’s) and also Early Childhood Intervention.
Referrals can be made via phone or email. No GP referral required.
Jackie Stening Speech Pathologist